Speaking of Chronixx, he gave a stellar performance at the recent Jamaica Jazz & Blues festival. Get a taste of the show in this 25-minute performance video! Pure roots revival on the highest level.
Royal Order Music. "Selassie Souljahz" also features Sizzla, Kabaka Pyramid and Protoje. How's that for a combination track!
Jamaica's DJ Wayne recently premiered the song on his radio program, you can hear it right here. And the track is available Feb 26 at all digital retailers. The single is unique in that it features full-length verses from each of the featured artists for an extended play feel.
Progressive Polish reggae-electronic producer Dreadsquad has a new EP with RDX featuring vocal and dub versions of three tracks. The Warning EP showcases musical diversity, from digi-dancehall, in the style of King Jammy's famous "Sleng Teng" riddim, to potent modern roots.
"Smoker" is a nice one-drop tune while "Skank" is club-friendly ska, and "Warning" drops the digital bass deep. Visit the Dreadsquad Soundcloud page for ska freebie featuring Ms. Dynamite!
Ska Beat! Jamaica's original ska orchestra, the Skatalites, drop a new album, Walk With Me, March 5 on Moondust Records. The album features some of the last recordings made by founding drummer Lloyd Knibb. The band includes original alto sax player Lester Sterling and vocalist Doreen Schaffer in addition to newer members who keep the spirit of Jamaica jazz alive.
Sound Kings! New York sound clash promoters Irish & Chin have announced that they've signed US sound system crew King Addies to their management wing. Irish and Chin also currently manage Japan's Mighty Crown. In the 80s and 90s King Addies was far and away America's most successful clashing sound. Featuring a young Tony Matterhorn, who has since started a successful solo clash and recording career, Addies beat back many a Jamaican sound. Watch Addies mash up World Clash in 1994!
- Demarco has a new track "Psalms A Day" on the Sunset Blvd Riddim.
- Luciano and Lady Virture sound great on "Tek Di Pressure," an excellent new piece of one-drop roots.
- Goth-dancehall don Tommy Lee gets interviewed by Noisy Jamaica.
- Damien and Stephen Marley, Cornell Campbell, Sister Carol, Max Romeo and Protoje are just a few of the artists announced for the 20th annual Sierra Nevada World Music Festival, June 21-23 in Mendocino, CA.
- Watch Rory from Stone Love talk about his new roots one-drop riddim production.